Sam Pfeifle

Salmon Sisters: Giveaways + Q&A

An online Expo is ... not the same. No one is feeling that more than Salmon Sisters. We all miss the connections we make every year in Seattle.  

The Salmon Sisters don’t want you to go away empty-handed. Enter to win some epic show swag, including a pair of Salmon Sisters Xtratuf boots,  a salmon home pack, signed copies of their new book, and the new design of their Young Fishermen of America hoodie.

Leave a comment telling us what you miss about Expo this year, and you'll be entered to win one of these prizes, courtesy of Salmon Sisters.

• Like 1

I really miss Seattle! We usually have so much fun walking the city and grabbing beers. The computer never seems to offer to buy a round!

• Like 1

This was going to be my first in person expo, and then of course COVID has kept raging. So I am saddened to not be able to interact in person with the lectures and the experienced fishermen, and suppliers alike. I do appreciate having this over internet, in the present world being able to adapt is important. And being able to stay connected and educated is important too. Hopefully everyone is staying hopeful for a positive future for us and the fish!

• Like 2

We are missing the opportunity to touch base with all of our friends and contacts in the industry, as well as doing our safety demo/talk! I had such a great time getting to meet many people I've only talked to on the phone or through email. Expo is such a great platform for networking, and for us, expanding our instructor network. 

• Like 2

This would have been my first Expo and has been on my calendar for over a year!  However, it's nice to see some of the programming offered here online and hope for more personal interactions and exchanges at next year's Expo.

• Like 1

The Expo is such a great event. I know we are really bummed not being able to be there in person to meet everyone like years past.  

• Like 2

I am incredibly grateful and proud that our community has been able to adapt to these times, and find a way to hold the expo in any form. The spread of information and opportunity in the ever evolving maritime industry is invaluable.

The inability to come together in person is a blow in many ways. We will miss visiting with friends and colleagues to exchange stories of the season and remember times gone by. We will be unable to truly see and assess products on display that may greatly impact our capability and capacity. For a large number of the aging segment of our industry, who hold a wealth of wisdom and experience, the online forum seems too impractical and inaccessible to participate.

What I will miss most is the camaraderie; the exchange of ideas and experiences; being with my family and friends. Also all those free pens. I love all the pens.

• Like 1

I am happy the Expo has made its way online this year. Last year was the first time I had the opportunity to attend and it was amazing! What I'm missing the most is the opportunities to talk to industry professionals and others with the same interests! Walking through the aisles in person is a great way to learn about new companies and see what is going on in the marine world.

• Like 1

I've missed EXPO for a number of years after relocating to Colorado, and every year when EXPO rolls around it reminds me how landlocked I feel.  I've missed seeing old friends and attending lectures.  This year I get to tune into some of the programming -- and I wonder if live streaming of some programming could be part of future in-person EXPOs? 

39 minutes ago, A.E.Duck said:

I am incredibly grateful and proud that our community has been able to adapt to these times, and find a way to hold the expo in any form. The spread of information and opportunity in the ever evolving maritime industry is invaluable.

The inability to come together in person is a blow in many ways. We will miss visiting with friends and colleagues to exchange stories of the season and remember times gone by. We will be unable to truly see and assess products on display that may greatly impact our capability and capacity. For a large number of the aging segment of our industry, who hold a wealth of wisdom and experience, the online forum seems too impractical and inaccessible to participate.

What I will miss most is the camaraderie; the exchange of ideas and experiences; being with my family and friends. Also all those free pens. I love all the pens.

Ha. Seriously. Am I going to have to buy a pen this year?!? What about a new squishy toy for my desk?

• Like 2

We planned to be in Seattle this year for Expo.  We miss our fishing family!!!

Missing the long term connections in the industry we are all passionate about

• Like 1

I miss seeing old friends and catching up! The Expo is like an annual reunion.

But I am grateful for my support system and my health.

• Like 1

I miss seeing all my marine colleagues. It's always such a great opportunity to connect with remote friends and swap sea stories over a cold drink. 

• Like 1

Fish expo is always a grand marking point of my year that keeps me giddy for weeks after it happens. There’s nothing quite like the connection between fishermen. We all get fired up, loud, excited and crazy... it feeds our souls to be together. Fishing is a way of life that no one can quite understand except those who have experienced it. I love that expo brings us all together. I miss all of the speakers, the knot tying contest and the fishermen olympics. I miss the late night shenanigans/ pub crawl and the endless laughs of the week that keep me fed for the winter! Don’t worry I’ll be keeping it real from afar and thinking of all my favorite times at sea and in the boat yard to keep me smiling this year! Sending so much love to all my homies out there! 

• Thanks 1

As a complete newbie, I find Emma and Claire to be wonderful ambassadors for sustainable fishing with a large dose of community.  Strong, impressive, professional women!

• Thanks 1

I've been to the expo for several years. Today I am attending virtually, and it certainly is not the same!!!! I usually meet my husband there, go from one exhibit to another, try not to spend too much $$$, laugh with our "Alaska Family", head to the beer garden and try to win Seahawks tickets, go to the company party, hear about last nights pub crawl (too old for that now, thank GAWD!!!!)

I just miss it! It's like a mini-vacation. I miss looking at the Salmon Sisters boots and just EVERYTHING!!!!

WARM WISHES AND STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY!!!!

• Like 2

I don't usually get to go to the Pacific Expo, but I would have enjoyed seeing old colleagues from around Alaska and the NW, both fishermen and managers. Thoroughly enjoyed the interview with the Salmon Sisters, their sustainable practices, and philosophy of giving back. I will be ordering their fresh and smoked salmon.

• Like 1

My husband, children and I will miss bumping into all our friends and meeting new people while at expo. The children will especially miss the free chocolates and toy swag they receive while we’re wandering around talking to people.

• Like 1

I miss the expo because of it being an expo. Online you don’t get to meet and see the faces of those in the industry and well it’s just not the same.

• Like 2

I miss wandering the aisles of the Expo, talking with the reps, and looking for my husband who is always a few booths behind me.  And, coming home with enough pens for the next year!  Since it is held during my birthday week, a trip to the Expo in Seattle is a great way to celebrate.

Things I miss about the Expo?

Where do I freaking start?

1. I miss Seattle and my clean hotel room where the Room Fairy comes to replace my toilet paper.

2. I miss all the free chocolate.

3. I miss my free pens!!  I actually have stooped to swiping pens from the bank. They are soooooo boring.

4. I miss seeing my friends.

5. I miss my tribe. Down here in California, I am so weary of trying to explain commercial fishing to people.

6. I miss all the positive energy, that we're fighting the same battle.

7. Of course I miss checking out what's new in the fish business.

Should I go on or shall I just relive the last years on my facebook posts?

Stay Safe Everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I miss my hanging with my friends and drinking beers and hearing all the good fishing stories from all the old fishermen 💞💞

I am so sad I missed this!! I love the Salmon Sisters and all they stand for, especially making and eating foods from our own backyards. <3 This is my first expo, I'm excited to learn more about the industry. 

• Like 1